Saving Spots

Standard

I made this shirt last year at the Sew-In and never wore it.  Why?  Because the neckline somehow stretched out, and it sagged away from my body.  Nothing bad, mind you – no gargantuan gaposis or exposed cleavage, but it was enough to always bother me.  Don’t you hate it when those sewing gremlins muck things up?

First, I thought to salvage this top by running a bit of elastic through the neck band.  I did that, but still didn’t wear it.  While this solution worked to pull in the neckline, it also left what I considered unsightly gathers.  It looked lumpy.  Not the way it was supposed to look!

While leafing through a magazine at the local “Curl Up & Dye” I saw a similar top that had small exposed darts in the neck band.  I swear everyone saw the lightbulb appear over my head.  Eureka!

I wasn’t terribly keen on darts, per se, but I did like the idea of making the fix a design feature.

Design feature.  I like.  A nifty phrase that can be used to cover a myriad of goofs, oopsies or other momentary lapses in brain function.

I divided the neckband into 5 even sections, and stitched beads to the outside (the design feature part) as I took small 1/4 inch tucks.   This took in the excess width, and looks pretty nifty to boot!

Result:  A new top.  Just in time for Sew-In 2010.

Advertisements

4 responses »

  1. Pingback: Simplicity 2554 – Tank Top « Thunderpaws Threads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s