Finally completed, after aging much too long is a partially assembled state, is my take on the Sewing Workshop Hibiscus shirt. It’s bold! It’s bright! It’s finished!
The main fabric was acquired from Satin Moon in San Francisco several years back. It’s pretty much a quilting weight cotton, while the red is from a local quilt store. I’ve seen the checkerboard / polka dots in other color ways at quilting stores too. If you’re ever in San Francisco, Satin Moon is a delightful shop run by the Miyamoto sisters. A must see for quality fabric.
For those who voted on buttons, I took the advice of using red, but went for the red sparklies rather than the matte. It’s a magpie thing. The actual assemblage of this shirt is rather straight forward. Set-in sleeves, side seams, collar stand with collar. Things get a wee bit tricky sewing on the bottom peplum, as there is an actual facing that goes on the back side of the main fabric. Still, if you mark your pieces it goes together well.
Mark your pieces. Yes. There is that. Like a lot of the Sewing Workshop patterns, the marking and the cutting out are where the devils wait. You pretty much have to cut this single layer, and some of the pieces are not only single layer, but on the bias! Since this was the second time I was making this top, I thought I had overcome the cutting-out problems, by putting a great big “UP” on the pattern pieces.
The fabric, which shifts from polka dots to checkerboards across its width didn’t help matters any. I needed to be sure the sleeves carried the pattern over, which meant cutting one piece upside-down. Alas, I wasn’t nearly as thoughtful when cutting the red, and had to recut all but one piece of the bottom. Needless to say, those pattern pieces are now better marked.
Out of the envelope, this pattern is also quite wide around the bottom. If you make no changes, it should probably be made from a drapey fabric so one doesn’t look like a tent, or like you’re wearing maternity clothes.
On second thought – it would make a great maternity top, though I am long past that. So, I took it in 4 inches around the circumference. This involved darting out some width in the main body, and removing width in several places on the peplum and peplum facing. I wanted to spread out the removal to keep the overall style of the top. Lopping things off at the side seams would not have worked. After all the removing was done, I checked to be sure the edges matched. Hooray! They did!
Once everything was finished, I put my label on. Yes, it’s on one of the front peplum facings, so if I flip it up, I get to see it, and no risk of my skin being irritated. To the unasked question – I did indeed change thread back and forth, red to black, top and bobbin so the colors coordinate.