Of course, this particular version doesn’t follow the pattern exactly. The back has a modified section, which is a patchwork of antique kimono fabrics from Ah Kimono! This section is also an exercise in different types of seams – there’s french seams, hong kong finished seams and turned under seams.
To answer the question of the discerning reader, no, I did not applique the patchwork onto the back, I used the slice & dice method, and reworked the back of the pattern. This is where the polka-dot bias strips came into play. I ran out of the orange bias.
The body of the jacket is a silk/linen blend. At $35/yard it is one of the most expensive fabrics I’ve worked with in a while. I pre-washed it and also hand-washed the silk patchwork before assembly. This way, I know I can hand wash the whole garment if needed.
The body fabric will be very nice to wear, but was less than stellar to work with. It sews nicely, but the stripes are actually a seersucker-like texture, and they did not lend themselves to creating a truly straight edge, which this pattern really needs. Eventually we came to an understanding, the fabric and I.
There’s a wee little bit of interfacing in the collar, Pro-Tricot fusible from Fashion Sewing Supply. Very nice stuff.
I particularly like the embroidered piece at the shoulder. This will be a nice little jacket to keep the chill off when the A/C is running full blast during the Cactusville summers.