New Look: 6150

Standard

IMG_2999I’ve been getting so much wear out of the first top I made using this pattern, I had to make another one.

Now that I understood the construction details, I decided to experiment a bit more with the fabric choice.  Instead of an ITY knit, I used a soft jersey, which was listed as being an athletic knit.  I’m not sure what makes it athletic, though the pajama pants I made from the bulk of the fabric have not pilled after several washing, so I am happy.

The top is made from those remnants, which were  a little over a yard in length.  It was a wide knit, maybe 60 inches, so there was plenty of fabric.

The solid color shows off the ruching and gathers much better than in the first top.

The shawl collar and gathers were all done with a straight stitch.  I stabilized the back shoulders with fusible interfacing.  The main vertical seams were all sewn on the serger.  Hem an armholes were finished with coverstitch.

I was a bit concerned about having 4 layers of fabric at the front hem, so I snipped away some of the under wrap at the hemline.  This made the front much less bulky.  The weather is still warm, so I hope to get a lot of wear from this top.

Advertisements

One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s