I think that makes it one of the longest running garment UFOs I’ve had in quite a while.
It is finally finished! And I am ever so glad.
It’s been a very long time since I’ve made a woven top/blouse for myself, which no doubt goes a ways to explaining why this took so long. It had to be fitted, as in make-a-muslin, and I was just not in the mood for fitting. I was in the mood for sewing!
The Pattern: is one of the Palmer Pletsch designs. These are pretty good patterns – they have all sorts of fitting tips and directions on how to change the pattern to achieve the fit or your dreams. With this shirt, either my comprehension was missing, or my dreams were of the hallucinatory variety, because the fit was way off!
The Fit: Following the sizing instructions, I cut a 14, forgetting that McCall patterns tend to run large. Then I had to scale it back to a 12 with sewing, taking in the seams. If I didn’t like the lines of the pattern so much, it would have been a wadder at this point!
Next up was messing around with the sleeve cap. There was 2.5 inches of sleeve ease I was supposed to fit into the armscye. That seemed like too much, so I lopped a bit off the sleeve cap, and took in the center seam as well. Not perfect, but better.
Sewing: Of course, since I was doing all this fit-as-you-sew business, I wasn’t reading the instructions, so had to re-do the collar. Twice! Operator error, indeed. Lastly, the button holes became a disaster. Enterprise, my trusty sewing machine, decided she absolutely, positively did not want to sew the right-side leg of the button hole. Skipped stitches. Thread nests. There was no change in fabric or interfacing between one side of the button hole and the other; Enterprise was on strike!
I finally pulled out my old mechanical machine to finish the top. Surprisingly, I had forgotten what nice button holes it makes.
Enterprise is in the shop for a check-up. I have a new blouse pattern. Ta Da!