Jalie 968: Shorts

Standard

IMG_4155It is finally cooling down here, (stop laughing!  90+ is considered warm by Sierraville standards) though for a while it was rather toasty.  Toasty and smoky, what with all the fires in Northern California.

Anyway, my increasing girth (Dessert?  Sure, I’ll take two!) created  a shortage in the shorts department.

I used my standard Jalie pattern (which I think is now out of print) to remedy the situation.  Fabric is a very well aged cotton from stash.  So well aged that it had fade stripes from sitting in the sunlight.

IMG_4157I cut the legs about 1.5 inches wider, as shorts don’t fit as close to the body as jeans do.  The other change I tried was using some leftover knit as the waistband binding.

The first try had the knit stretching as I sewed, so it was ripped.  The second try I used Wonder Tape to hold the bottom side in place, folded over the top, then stitched.  Much better!  Now it’s super soft and comfy against my skin.

I’m not sure how often I’ll use this technique, but I do like it.  The inside feels much nicer than a serged edge on the waistband.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s