Another Hot Patterns Cote D’Azur rendition, this time the tunic length. The fabric is a nice soft rayon knit, which has been aging in stash for a while. Some fabrics are like fine wine, they just need to age. Others are more like armagnac – they need to age for ages.
The pattern is printed so the fuller bottom pieces attach midway to the top. It took several tries, and looking (but not registering) at the drawings before I figured out that the way I had the traced pieces taped together was not how they were supposed to go. I had the bottom back attached to the top front. Sooo not going to work that way.
Once my taping faux pas was fixed (say that 3 times fast) everything went together nicely.
The top was sewn on the serger, and hemmed on the cover stitch. Easy peasy.
Now, you see those sequins on the fabric. They didn’t come off in the wash, which is what I expected. However they did come off during ironing. The iron had sparkles on it for ages!
At the end of every year, our sewing guild holds a holiday gala. A traditional part of the gala is the fabric swap. Fabric of a length suitable to become a garment or quilt is placed in a sealed bag. Numbers are drawn, and guests have the option of choosing a new bag, or stealing from another member.
It’s a great way to re-home one’s wonder fabric (as in, I wonder why I bought this?) as well as acquire something completely different.
Many folks will go to great lengths (pun intended) to secure their treasures. Who’s that hiding under the table? What did you stuff in your backpack?
To insure our newly acquired treasures don’t languish, the April meeting is a “Wear What Ya Won” event. Everyone who attends brings whatever it is they made from their prize. Some folks become very creative!
This was my fabric prize (full disclosure – I was one of the few people to “steal” from someone else – I am ruthless when it comes to fabric). It’s a slubbed boucle type of fabric, completely washable and very loosely woven.
While it is jacket-weight, it would have required more manipulation than I was willing to do for this material to become a structured garment.
Enter Butterfly & Bees from Louise Cutting. It’s an older, out of print pattern, but worked perfectly. There was a coordinating printed polyester in the stash. I decided to Go For It!
The one pattern is cut twice. Both jackets are assembled separately, except for the neckline. Then the two pieces are joined at the neckline only. This allows the interior fabric to hang freely and peek out all around the edges. To give more weight to the side vents, I stitched antique glass buttons at the top.
The jacket is perfect for summer evenings here. Once the sun goes down, there can be a definite chill in the air.
The last of the pin-up fabric has finally found it’s pattern match! Whew!
Not so much “Whew!” in construction, but more in terms of auditioning various patterns. Trying to figure out which one would make the best use of the remaining fabric proved to be more work than I expected.
It didn’t help that I only had one full pin-up panel left! Did I mention she was only printed down the center of the fabric? Who wants to wear someone’s legs, with no head or torso? Not I!
Digging through the accent knits – you know, those bits and pieces you keep because there’s no telling when they may come in handy. Solids. Polka dots. Stripes. Small prints. Anyway, hiding down at the bottom of the bin was a black & white dot, which works perfectly.
Like the Kim Swing Top in this fabric, I added more sparkles to the girl, then some to the accent fabric. While adding rhinestones not difficult, it was tiresome, as my able pawed assistants decided jumping to and from the table was the order of the day.
Scattered rhinestones everywhere!
Another quick sew, the Style Arc Kim swing top. This one in a riotous kaleidoscope of colors.
Since I’ve made this top before, there’s were no fitting adjustments. Sewn on the serger. It took me longer to cut it out, since it’s cut single layer than it took to sew it.
It’s comfy. It’s cool. I’ll wear it with leggings.
While Grandmeow no long has the ability to garden, she still likes her sparkles. On good days, she remembers her roses.
This design, courtesy of Urban Threads, I think (though I could no longer find it on their web site – it’s an old design) was just right for a summery salmon shirt (say that three times fast!).
A crown with leaves and roses, dressed up with rhinestones.
The only problem is every time I see it, the Abba song “Dancing Queen” starts running through my mind. Aaaahhhh!
More replacement t-shirt stitching
Another one for Mom.
This design was a lot of fun to play with. I altered the colors of the designs inside the bear. They’re difficult to see in this photo, but trust me, there’s lime green and hot pink and yellow.
No bling on the front, as it really didn’t need it.
There is another design on the back, so it’s as fancy coming as going.
Another foray into sewing the “The Good Stuff”. This is a panel print knit from Emma One Sock. I think a shipment from the Netherlands. She gets the most beautiful fabric!
I had one panel of this to work with, and wanted to make the most of it. There wasn’t enough for sleeves, but there was for cuffs on sleeves. I did that instead.
The pattern is the Laura. I modified it to remove the front and back yokes. Also made it a little wider, as these are pajamas. Comfy jammies at that!
When everything was sewn, all that’s left is the scrap to the right.