This top is an exercise in perseverance.
It’s my standard T pattern, the Hot Patterns Plain & Simple T, made with the boat neck option.
But that’s not how it started life. Oh no! It was supposed to be something quite different! That being an asymmetrically hemmed tunic.
I mean, a tunic. A long top. How hard could it be? Well, as you can tell, more difficult that I expected. I used the basic T pattern for the top, the widened the bottom, thinking that’s all I needed to do. Nope!
This fabric is clingier, which meant that rather than skimming the lumps & bumps, it snugged tight, showing off everything we women of a certain age don’t want shown.
I put it aside. Waited. Waited. Waited. There was no way to add more width at the bottom. The fabric was going to stretch how it stretched; couldn’t do anything about that. In the end, I lopped off the length, took in the sides a bit more and now have a top.
I’m glad I kept at it. It’s a nice t-shirt. I still have tunics tinkering in the back of my mind.
Even though it’s currently a little warm to wear this, I stitched it up anyway.
These navy and white fabrics made my eyes vibrate!
Two different stripes using the same colors, combined with my TnT Hot Patterns Plain & Simple T pattern; add to that a Sunday afternoon and voilá.
Unfortunately it seems this pattern is now out of print. There are several others at the HP site that would work up just as nicely. Perhaps even better!
The online sewing community has been all abuzz about scuba fabric. Something new and different, that’s finally migrated from Ready to Wear to yardage.
I picked some up when it was on sale at Girl Charlee fabrics.
As it’s name sounds, scuba is similar to neoprene, except much thinner and better suited to garments and accessories (think laptop cases).
Having several wetsuits from our more liquid hobbies hanging in the closet, I was intrigued by this new arrival. Never having seen scuba in Ready to Wear, I can’t say if my fabric is excellent, medium or poor quality.
What I can say is that it sews up easily. It has stretch for wearing comfort, but not like a t-shirt knit. I left the top unhemmed, as scuba doesn’t ravel. Use a simple pattern – you don’t want a lot of intersecting seams. Scuba builds up thickness quickly.
The verdict is still out on how it will feel in warm weather (we’re just heating up this month). So, something new, and blue and Ready for Me to Wear.
First up from Sewing Camp is a revisit to the Hotpatterns Plain & Simple T-shirt pattern.
They have since re-issued it, but I have the original. I started off by comparing the pattern I had traced many years back with the hard paper, then comparing that with the new found knowledge of possibly needing an FBA.
All these measurements required re-tracing the front patterns. Patterns? Yes, there are three different front styles: v-neck, round-neck and boat neck. They all attach to the same back.
The arm scrunchies (as I tended to call the mis-fitting wrinkles) were the result of orignally cutting down the armscye. Retracing fixed this. I did a small FBA as well. Is that an oxymoron? A small FBA?
The top above is the fitting muslin, made from a light weight ponte. Probably from one of the Fabric Mart sales. All these changes ended up in a much more comfortable top. I am very pleased.
Blouse Back-T, that is.
Goodness! For now, I think three is enough. Third time the charm. However you want to say it. I have enough of these for Spring.
Still using up bits and bobs of fabric. One yard of peachskin (another wonder* fabric) and a yard of complementary knit.
No changes to the pattern this time around; it was a straight forward sewing endeavor. Isn’t it nice when those happen?
*Wonder Fabric: One of those fabrics that has you scratching your head, wondering whatever possessed you to buy it…
If one is good, two is better, right?
Another rendition of Hot Patterns 1170, the Blouse Back T. Different colors and a couple more changes to the basic pattern.
After wearing the first one a couple of times, I decided I needed to add some width to the back. I wanted fuller gathers in the woven than what the pattern had. Basically having it look more like the picture.
The other change was to run some elastic thread through the neckline. This snugged up the band, which now prevents it from drooping open (outward?) by the end of the day.
These should be the final modifications. I like the fit, and have gotten quite a number of compliments. When strangers notice, that’s not too bad.
One of my favorite pattern companies, HotPatterns came out with a new offering earlier this summer. I was intrigued to read reviews, where folks were combining different types of fabric.
Different types as in wovens and knits in the same top. This sparked my interest.
The result is the wearable muslin at left. The front and neck band are from a knit, the back is from a lovely floaty “wonder” fabric. Wonder, as in, “I wonder why I bought this?”
Even if you’re not a fan of the high / low hemline that’s featured, I suggest you give this one a go. The sewing is simple and straight-forward, the fit is relaxed, the style unusual enough to garner comments.
After taking a few measurements, I traced a straight 12, with a forward shoulder alteration (darned computers!). Then I checked the length. Wasn’t sure about that (it felt really long in the pattern paper stage) but decided to try it anyway.
As it turned out, the length was just perfect for this type of “lighter than air” top. The back has enough width so that it doesn’t get hung up on one’s patootie, and the knit front provides shaping, so you don’t feel like you’re wearing a tent. At one yard for the knit, and another yard for the woven, it’s also a great stash buster.