So, with the retirement of the Cat’s Pajamas, I went looking for a new nightshirt. Nothing worked. Most of the jammies the local stores carried were just not right – the fabric was too cheap or the style was too, dare I say it, young?
Anyway, while trolling through the fabrics at Emma One Sock I came across this lovely, and knew I had found what I was looking for.
I would sew my nightshirt.
It’s a digital print from the Netherlands, with the elephant on one side, and the zebra on the other. The fabric is a beefy cotton knit, with a touch of lycra to keep it stretchy.
One panel was just long enough to make a nightshirt – provided the binding and sleeves were cut from something else. There is plenty of white rayon knit in the stash that would work.
Using a regular t-shirt pattern would be too form-fitting to sleep comfortably.
Style Arc’s Laura pattern then came to mind. The pattern has a yoke front and back, but I could easily merge those pieces, which I did. I omitted the center back seam too. No need to have a seam up my zebra!
I am unbelievably tickled with this sleepwear solution.
Cute, comfy jammies! Oh, did I mention I gave the goose a sparkly crown.
This nightshirt was a birthday gift from a good friend ages and ages ago.
I dare say it’s probably close to 20 years old? Maybe a bit less. Perhaps a bit more.
Either way, it has seen it’s fair share of wear. Worn to the point that it’s time to retire it. Not that it will be donated to charity.
Oh no! There are too many lovely memories attached. It will be folded and gently stored in the wardrobe drawer reserved for “special” things – handmade socks, the dress I wore to meet Santa when I was three. You know – those keepsakes you just have to keep.
Unfortunately retiring the Cat’s Pajamas leaves a definite gap in my pajama selection.
What to do? What to do? What to do?
The recent issue of the American Sewing Guild newsletter had an article about garment sewing from scraps. Basically showing runway designs and recommending patterns that lend themselves to reduced yardage.
The light bulb went off, and I realized that’s what I’ve been doing all along with the Style Arc Lotti tank top.
It’s perfect for using those knit fabrics you love, but don’t have enough of to make a full tank. While the pattern shows three different sections both front and back, it’s easy to merge the third section into the first and make it with only two different fabrics. That’s what I did with this top.
I know, a black tank top? What can I say, white as the accent wouldn’t have worked with two dark-furred cats, and I don’t look good in tans. Black is basic. Black is classy. Black it is!
As the weather turns warm (let’s not count that cold spell from last week, where the mountains got snow) thoughts turn to easy breezy attire.
Another rendition of Style Arc’s Lotti in the last of what I’ve taken to calling the “stoplight” fabric.
There was enough fabric to adjust placement so another wardrobe faux pas didn’t occur, but beyond that not a scrap was left. The fabric stash unearthed a complimentary ponte to use as the second third.
Second third? Hey, look at the pattern: 2 distinct fabrics, separated by thirds. Second third. Shhh! Don’t tell Strunk & White. That’ll be our little secret.
Sewn on the serger. Hemmed on the cover stitch. Worn by Moi!
This is the Style Arc Kim. It’s made from a rather nice digital ponte knit I stumbled on at the local bolt-end fabric store.
Usually their wares are more utilitarian, but not this time.
After taking measurements, I decided to dive in and make a 12 straight from the envelope – no changes or alterations.
Everything went swimmingly, until I tried it on. Those bright yellow flowers? Well… They ended up being very strategically placed. As in Stoplight Boobs. While I am not the most well endowed person, it’s still not a part of my anatomy I felt like calling attention to.
Thankfully, there was enough fabric left to re-cut the front, this time paying more attention to pattern placement. Ahem. I also did a slight FBA, about a 1/2 inch. Yes, a cut & slash FBA alteration on a pattern piece that is cut single. The result works, but looks a bit Frankenpattern, with all the bits taped together.
The plan is to wear this with black leggings, now that the weather is warming up.
from Meh to Wearable
I tried wearing the New Look top/dress I made a while back several times. We were not feeling the love for each other. I decided that experiment outside my comfort zone (I am NOT a pink person) wasn’t working, but didn’t want to scrap all the effort that went into it either.
What to do? What to do?
I remember that Style Arc Lotti was a pieced top, and maybe I could morph the unloved dress into something new. This is the result.
There was enough patterned fabric in the dress to re-cut the top, blended with a bit of black knit from stash. I’m rather pleased with myself that I was able to use the hem I had already made on the New Look as well.
Finally, something I will wear!
The last(for a while) rendition of Avery is finished!
This was one of those endeavors that percolated for a while, then waited longer for fabric to arrive, then waited again for Ms. Mojo to return. It seemed to take forever, and I suppose it did.
Anyway, the first fabric was the floral print, which turned out to be way too sheer to use on it’s own. I thought to line it with a white lining until the idea of plain white morphed into spots, which lead to the under layer.
I lengthened the polka-dot under-layer about 1 1/2 inches, so it peeks out the bottom. The top and sleeves are a bright white rayon knit. No changes to the sewing, other than the two woven pieces are only connected at the top; they are free floating in the rest of the garment. This gives a nice swish to everything.