Almost, but not quite too late in the season.
Another rendition of Vogue 8737, the Milkmaid T, as I tend to call it. No matter how I try, every time I see the front of the pattern envelope, I think of Marie Antoinette and Petit Trianon, pretending to milk the goats in her finery.
But, enough history!
I tried stripes this time, and think they worked out very nicely. When my arms are down, the stripes on the sleeves are vertical, when raised, like Flora is showing, they match the body of the top. It’s a nice trick.
The fabric is some mystery poly knit from Fabric Mart Fabrics, long gone from their inventory. It is very textural, with thin sheer sections between each of the heavier knit stripes. The 3/4 length sleeves will come in very handy – cool enough for the warming days, warm enough for after sunset. Ruching at the sides to hide the fact that I’ve been eating way too many french fries of late!
Looking like clothing for a long-necked giraffe
But it’s not. Trust me. That’s actually the cowl, straightened up. When it’s worn, and all folded down, it’s much softer.
Though I suppose wearing this shirt with the cowl pulled up over one’s face might make for a good robbery mask. Or disguise. Instead of “Who is that woman in those Foster Grants” it would be “Who is that woman in those stripes”. Naah. Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.
I did my best to match said stripes, and was mostly successful. The shoulder stripes on the back don’t quite line up…but that’s OK by me. I don’t see my back.
The fabric is a rayon from Stonemountain and Daughter…on their sale table, no less. The thin gold bits take it from boring to bang!
I seem to do this frequently, working at cross purposes to the weather. Here it is a high of nearly 90 in Cactusville, and I’m sewing up a sweater! Go Figure!
This is a Kwik Sew pattern, whose number currently escapes me. I did check their web site, and couldn’t find it, so it may well be out of print. Anyway, it is a super easy to stitch up. Almost everything is done on the serger. A good thing too, as this was my first foray into sewing with sweater knits. I had thought the fuzziness would cause issues, instead it was the 2-way stretch, and thickness of the fabric I had to coerce. (I was about to say tame, but really, does anyone ever tame fabric?)
I’m particularly pleased at having the stripes line up at the front and side seams. The buttons are vintage grey mother-of-pearl from stash. The knit is from the Yahoo fabric group Joys of Sewing.
I took advantage of the 2-way stretch of the fabric to have the neck and bottom band stripes go the other direction. After all, no one needs horizontal stripes across their hips!
The front buttons are stabilized on the inside with grossgrain ribbon. In order to keep the stripes aligned, I used fusible stay tape on the sweater knit before sewing the ribbon on, preventing the fronts from stretching out of alignment. The ribbon will both support the buttons and keep the button holes from sagging and stretching.
I suppose I could have used a brighter, fancier ribbon, in keeping with my inner magpie, but somehow just didn’t feel up to it. Understated. A new direction for me.