What can I say, I’m a sucker for unusual, novelty fabrics. While browsing online this one caught my eye immediately! It’s a light weight ITY knit. The pin-up girl is printed directly down the center, surrounded with the polka-dot blobs (for want of a better description).
This unusual repeat required cutting out the Kim swing top in a single layer, which was fine, as the asymmetrical hem requires single layer cutting. Gee, you’d think the two, pattern and fabric, were made for each other! Perhaps they were.
The sewing was on the serger, very straight forward t-shirt construction. What you can’t see from the photo is that Ms. Saucy Locks has red rhinestones decorating her attire. Being the subdued person I am, I added more rhinestones, so she sparkles when she swings.
Now that the weather is warming up, the plan is to wear this with leggings and flats. It will be the perfect top for Saturday errands.
The recent issue of the American Sewing Guild newsletter had an article about garment sewing from scraps. Basically showing runway designs and recommending patterns that lend themselves to reduced yardage.
The light bulb went off, and I realized that’s what I’ve been doing all along with the Style Arc Lotti tank top.
It’s perfect for using those knit fabrics you love, but don’t have enough of to make a full tank. While the pattern shows three different sections both front and back, it’s easy to merge the third section into the first and make it with only two different fabrics. That’s what I did with this top.
I know, a black tank top? What can I say, white as the accent wouldn’t have worked with two dark-furred cats, and I don’t look good in tans. Black is basic. Black is classy. Black it is!
As the weather turns warm (let’s not count that cold spell from last week, where the mountains got snow) thoughts turn to easy breezy attire.
Another rendition of Style Arc’s Lotti in the last of what I’ve taken to calling the “stoplight” fabric.
There was enough fabric to adjust placement so another wardrobe faux pas didn’t occur, but beyond that not a scrap was left. The fabric stash unearthed a complimentary ponte to use as the second third.
Second third? Hey, look at the pattern: 2 distinct fabrics, separated by thirds. Second third. Shhh! Don’t tell Strunk & White. That’ll be our little secret.
Sewn on the serger. Hemmed on the cover stitch. Worn by Moi!
The last(for a while) rendition of Avery is finished!
This was one of those endeavors that percolated for a while, then waited longer for fabric to arrive, then waited again for Ms. Mojo to return. It seemed to take forever, and I suppose it did.
Anyway, the first fabric was the floral print, which turned out to be way too sheer to use on it’s own. I thought to line it with a white lining until the idea of plain white morphed into spots, which lead to the under layer.
I lengthened the polka-dot under-layer about 1 1/2 inches, so it peeks out the bottom. The top and sleeves are a bright white rayon knit. No changes to the sewing, other than the two woven pieces are only connected at the top; they are free floating in the rest of the garment. This gives a nice swish to everything.
Colder weather is here, and that means time for long sleeves. Not yet cold enough for sweaters, but certainly sleeves.
To that end, I present the Style Arc Issy top.
I agree, making it in a stripe does create a certain visual vibration.
The pattern was on sale in the Style Arc Amazon shop several months back. While it looks crazy complicated (ruching! pleats! cowl!) it is actually pretty simple. There are only 8 match points to get all this extravagance. Who’d have thought to tuck in part of the neck pleating into the armhole seam? Pretty cool!
Style Arc and I have a love/hate relationship with their sizing, so I wasn’t at all sure this would fit, but it does! I love it when a muslin becomes wearable rather than a wadder. On their more recent releases, they tell you what the ease difference is between sizes, which helps tremendously.
I will make one change on the next one, which will be leveling out the bottom. The pattern calls for it to be canted to the right, but my figure isn’t canted-bottom friendly. Certain parts should not be accented.
There was just a smidge of fabric left over from making the Floribunda Angry Milkmaid top, but I was loathe to toss it.
That’s what’s so great about the Style Arc Lotti – the color blocking uses up all the leftover knit scraps. The only caution is the scraps should be of the same weight, otherwise things wobble, and pull and well…look hodge podge and askew. Don’t ask me how I know…
Of course, when the color blocking craze runs it’s course, and is no longer fashionable, who knows what I’ll do with the leftovers. Perhaps it will become my style.
Fashion is Fleeting. Style Lasts Forever.
I made a resolution with myself to clear the cutting table this summer. All the fabric piled around the edges waiting, waiting, waiting.
A second rendition of the Style Arc Maggie was just the ticket. Both pieces of fabric were from the Phoenix Sew-In RumMage sale. It’s been five years since I attended, so that will give you an idea of how long this has hidden in the stash. It’s reached an age of being wearable (similar to wines that are drinkable).
The fabric is a rayon woven. Quite drapy, and most suitable for Maggie.
I made two changes this time around.
The band collar is 1/4 inch larger than the original pattern. I attached it using a modification of the Louise Cutting collar technique: it was sewn to the blouse body before the band top was stitched. I know, that doesn’t make sense, but it’s really a much easier way to do this. I’m also pretty sure there’s a tutorial on youtube somewhere.
The second change was adding more width to the back, having the pleat be fuller. I wanted more floatiness.
I wore this with leggings and ballet flats. There were many compliments.