Vintage Verdigris

IMG_3560Fresh from a steamer trunk

I suppose using vintage and fresh in the same sentence has the grammarians rolling their eyes, but there you go.  A necklace that breaks with convention.  New bead shapes combined with an old beading style.

The new shapes are tila beads and super duos, the tilas in a matte khaki and the  luminous super duos forming the body of the band.  These are stitched together with bright bronze 15°s and accented with bronze tortoise shell daggers.

The stitching is peyote, which made me very nervous.  The way the beads are laid out, there isn’t a good way to put in any knots or ties for stability.  Should the thread break (a rare possibility) I didn’t want the beads to run helter skelter away, so some experimentation was required.  I finally managed it – not optimal, but functionally acceptable.

The two holes in the tilas and super duos drove me absolutely nuts.  The tilas in particular would flip one way, then flop another.  Finally, I reached a beady groove, that zen state where all the beads behave themselves.


Steampunk Pyramid

IMG_2958A little edgy.  A little rough.  I think this bracelet mixes nicely with cogs, gears, wheels and other elements of the Steampunk genre.

I’m still playing with new bead shapes, developing ideas and seeing what works.

This time around, it’s lovely copper pyramids paired with  superduo beads, accented by root beer drops.  The superduos are a copper/gold/clear blend – an odd color to photograph, as well as find companion beads to go with.  Thankfully the pyramids fit right in!

The piece is basic peyote stitch, but it took a little more thinking than peyote normally does.  Those superduos can have a mind of their own!  One needs to be sure the second hole, (whichever one is designated as such) is properly aligned.

The pyramids have two holes going through the center, which allows the beading along the edge to continue, giving the bracelet substance.  If that were not the case, it would probably be too loose and floppy.

Luckily, everything turned out well, and I didn’t have to pull or cut anything apart.  Whew!