from Meh to Wearable
I tried wearing the New Look top/dress I made a while back several times. We were not feeling the love for each other. I decided that experiment outside my comfort zone (I am NOT a pink person) wasn’t working, but didn’t want to scrap all the effort that went into it either.
What to do? What to do?
I remember that Style Arc Lotti was a pieced top, and maybe I could morph the unloved dress into something new. This is the result.
There was enough patterned fabric in the dress to re-cut the top, blended with a bit of black knit from stash. I’m rather pleased with myself that I was able to use the hem I had already made on the New Look as well.
Finally, something I will wear!
There was just a smidge of fabric left over from making the Floribunda Angry Milkmaid top, but I was loathe to toss it.
That’s what’s so great about the Style Arc Lotti – the color blocking uses up all the leftover knit scraps. The only caution is the scraps should be of the same weight, otherwise things wobble, and pull and well…look hodge podge and askew. Don’t ask me how I know…
Of course, when the color blocking craze runs it’s course, and is no longer fashionable, who knows what I’ll do with the leftovers. Perhaps it will become my style.
Fashion is Fleeting. Style Lasts Forever.
No, you are not hallucinating. You have seen this fabric before.
This is the last of it. Not quite a yard, but still enough to make one more Festival Fringe T-shirt.
The pattern is from Hot Patterns, and offered as a free download at Fabric.com.
I’ve made several of these, and keep coming back to it. I think that qualifies it as a Tried-aNd-True (TNT) pattern. No real changes to the pattern this time either.
Though the stripes are technically horizontal, the zigging and zagging, as well as the spots don’t make a body look wide. At least, I don’t think so.
The stripes are not perfectly level either. That is an artifact of the print, rather than cutting the fabric off-grain. A simple sew, which will see a lot of wear.
This will probably be the last of the tank tops for this year. I know, never say never, which means I’ll get a bee in my bonnet and sew up a bunch more.
Another great knit print, paired with a Kwik Sew pattern that just needs a yard of fabric.
I’ve blogged about this pattern before, over here, where you can see the pattern changes I made, and again here where the ruching shows up better in the photos.
The ruching is still there in this top, just a bit more difficult to see with such a busy print. Still, it gives the top shape and interest. The most difficult thing about sewing this pattern? Making sure all those gathers are evenly spaced. Once you have that down, it’s easy peasy, nice ‘n’ breezy.
Even though McCalls now owns the Kwik Sew line, this pattern is still in print, at least according to their web site. It comes as a long sleeve version as well, though I’ve not tried that one.
The weather continues warm here at Casa Thunderpaws, which has prompted the need for a few more tank tops. Once again, I’ve gone to my TnT pattern for these. It’s the Festival Fringe T available as a free download from Fabric.com
It takes one yard of fabric, which makes it über easy to make. A couple of seams on the serger and they’re done! The option for center front and back seams gives myriad fitting opportunities. Or you can choose to omit them all together. You choice! I also like the little cap sleeves. Good for warding off a bit of chill should the wind start to blow.
The fabric on the left has been aging in stash for quite a while. The one on the right is a recent acquisition. The shirt below? The very last dregs from the Teagarden T.
Flora Flaunts new Tanks
There was a little bit of simple sewing at Casa Thunderpaws last weekend. While neither complicated nor fancy, it served a very needed purpose – replacing the tired and well worn summer wardrobe with something new. Two new tank tops, in fact.
Once again, my favorite tank top pattern, Kwik Sew 3115 comes to the rescue. Almost all of the cotton tanks I have are from this pattern. I have no idea why only the cotton ones. Just the way it is. The fabric is a yummy bamboo rayon /cotton baby rib from Fabric.com I believe they still may have some – just search on bamboo baby rib.
Tank tops in September? Yes indeedy! The air conditioner is still running and we are still reaching triple digit temperatures. Thankfully, the mornings are cooler, so opening the windows is now an option. I am starting to pine for cooler weather…and the change to long sleeves.
Flora prefers hers shirred, not shaken
Another Kwik Sew 3790, this time in an olive inspired print. I like the ruching on the side, and the not quite cap sleeve sleeveless-ness of the pattern. It’s a nice stylistic change from the traditional tank top.
The knit is a standard ITY, lightweight without being sheer. I’ve mentioned this before with this pattern, but feel it bears repeating for new readers – it runs long! So much so that I’ve taken nearly 3 inches out of it, and still have enough length put in a deep hem (1 1/2 inches). Not a complaint, mind you, just something to be aware of.
Unlike a lot of styles for knits, I do use the facing pieces with this top. They lend a bit more stability to the asymmetrical neckline, and help to provide a nice finish on the interior seaming.
Sewing this top is a combination of regular stitching to do the gathers and serging for the actual seams. A serger is not required; a small stretchy zigzag would work too.
This top will help to refill the summer wardrobe too. Some of the existing tanks have been looking a might tatty and stained. It’s still warm enough in Cactusville that Flora’s Martini will see considerable use!