Not quite fabric scraps, the grape printed challis was barely a yard, acquired from the ASG Garage Sale back in May. I walked past the bundles of fabric, trailing my hand along then stopped when I touched this one. Ohhh! Score!
It’s an old-style challis. One of the softer more fluid ones. The accent fabric on the sleeves and collar are also from the garage sale. It’s a sueded challis in a bluish grey color. The photo above doesn’t do the colors justice. They are much more saturated in real life.
The pattern is a new one for me. I liked the raglan sleeves so I wouldn’t have to worry about lining up a shoulder seam to my non-aligned shoulders. I added a pleat to the back for a bit more fullness.
Otherwise there were no pattern alterations. The sewing was very direct. Sew seam. Overlock seam. Next! I used Louise Cutting’s method for attaching the collar band. She has a great tutorial on doing this which cuts down on bulk and insures the curves match.
Once the weather cools down, I plan on wearing this with grey leggings.
The recent issue of the American Sewing Guild newsletter had an article about garment sewing from scraps. Basically showing runway designs and recommending patterns that lend themselves to reduced yardage.
The light bulb went off, and I realized that’s what I’ve been doing all along with the Style Arc Lotti tank top.
It’s perfect for using those knit fabrics you love, but don’t have enough of to make a full tank. While the pattern shows three different sections both front and back, it’s easy to merge the third section into the first and make it with only two different fabrics. That’s what I did with this top.
I know, a black tank top? What can I say, white as the accent wouldn’t have worked with two dark-furred cats, and I don’t look good in tans. Black is basic. Black is classy. Black it is!
As the weather turns warm (let’s not count that cold spell from last week, where the mountains got snow) thoughts turn to easy breezy attire.
Another rendition of Style Arc’s Lotti in the last of what I’ve taken to calling the “stoplight” fabric.
There was enough fabric to adjust placement so another wardrobe faux pas didn’t occur, but beyond that not a scrap was left. The fabric stash unearthed a complimentary ponte to use as the second third.
Second third? Hey, look at the pattern: 2 distinct fabrics, separated by thirds. Second third. Shhh! Don’t tell Strunk & White. That’ll be our little secret.
Sewn on the serger. Hemmed on the cover stitch. Worn by Moi!
Started at sewing camp. Completed at home.
Vogue 1412 in a lovely border-print silk crepe. Even better, the fabric was from last year’s ASG garage sale! Woohoo! Like Goldilocks, there was just enough for this blouse.
It’s been a very long time since I’ve made a formal woven blouse. Not that this blouse is for formal occasions, far from it, but that it involved more formal sewing skills. A cuff. A cuff placket. Shawl collar. Gathers.
And of course being silk, the need to finish all the interior edges appropriately. As nice on the inside as is is on the outside.
Expecting to wear the top over leggings, I lengthened it about 2 inches. I also cut it on the cross grain, to make full use of the lovely floral border.
Floaty Flowery Fabulosity!
This is the Style Arc Kim. It’s made from a rather nice digital ponte knit I stumbled on at the local bolt-end fabric store.
Usually their wares are more utilitarian, but not this time.
After taking measurements, I decided to dive in and make a 12 straight from the envelope – no changes or alterations.
Everything went swimmingly, until I tried it on. Those bright yellow flowers? Well… They ended up being very strategically placed. As in Stoplight Boobs. While I am not the most well endowed person, it’s still not a part of my anatomy I felt like calling attention to.
Thankfully, there was enough fabric left to re-cut the front, this time paying more attention to pattern placement. Ahem. I also did a slight FBA, about a 1/2 inch. Yes, a cut & slash FBA alteration on a pattern piece that is cut single. The result works, but looks a bit Frankenpattern, with all the bits taped together.
The plan is to wear this with black leggings, now that the weather is warming up.
from Meh to Wearable
I tried wearing the New Look top/dress I made a while back several times. We were not feeling the love for each other. I decided that experiment outside my comfort zone (I am NOT a pink person) wasn’t working, but didn’t want to scrap all the effort that went into it either.
What to do? What to do?
I remember that Style Arc Lotti was a pieced top, and maybe I could morph the unloved dress into something new. This is the result.
There was enough patterned fabric in the dress to re-cut the top, blended with a bit of black knit from stash. I’m rather pleased with myself that I was able to use the hem I had already made on the New Look as well.
Finally, something I will wear!
The last(for a while) rendition of Avery is finished!
This was one of those endeavors that percolated for a while, then waited longer for fabric to arrive, then waited again for Ms. Mojo to return. It seemed to take forever, and I suppose it did.
Anyway, the first fabric was the floral print, which turned out to be way too sheer to use on it’s own. I thought to line it with a white lining until the idea of plain white morphed into spots, which lead to the under layer.
I lengthened the polka-dot under-layer about 1 1/2 inches, so it peeks out the bottom. The top and sleeves are a bright white rayon knit. No changes to the sewing, other than the two woven pieces are only connected at the top; they are free floating in the rest of the garment. This gives a nice swish to everything.